As I often do in the course of my daily devotional reading, I will “drop in” on a Psalm or one of the Proverbs that corresponds to the day, week, month, or any combination thereof, etc. Today being the 16th day of the month of July, I dropped in on Psalm 16 – “Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust. O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness is nothing apart from thee.”(Vvs. 1-2)
Let me begin by saying that being unable to read this from the original Hebrew puts us at a disadvantage, for in these two short verses, David uses three different words to describe three different attributes of God: He is EL (God), He is JEHOVAH (The Lord) and He is ADONI (My Lord).
I begin with EL ~
- He is Elohim ~ The God of Creation;
- He is El Shaddi ~ The All-mighty, all-powerful God;
- He is El Roi ~ The all-knowing, ever-present God;
- He is El Olam ~ The eternal & everlasting God.
In short, “EL” stands for God in all of His strength & all of His might… and David declares that he was living his life in light of these wondrous, wonderful truths!
This brings me to Jehovah ~
- He is Jehovah Jireh – The Lord God our Provider.
- He is Jehovah Nissi – The Lord God our Banner.
- He is Jehovah Shalom – The Lord God our Peace.
- He is Jehovah Sabayoth – The Lord God of Battle.
- He is Jehovah Tsidkenu – The Lord God our Righteousness.
- He is Jehovah Shamma – The Lord God who is Present. (and on & on that list could go)
In short, Jehova is the God of the Covenant; The God who so loved the world that He gave His own Son to be the Perfect Sacrifice for sin… so that whosoever would believe in Him would not perish, but have everlasting life.
Which brings me to “Adoni” ~ It is much more personal than ‘THE’ Lord. It literally translates: ‘MY’ Lord! Or as Kind David himself might have said: My King; The King of Kings… and the Lord of Lords!
To summarize: “El” is God my Maker; “Jehovah” is God my Intercessor & Mediator; “Adoni” is God my Master.